Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I'm growing up :(

Whoa, dang. I be graduating Seminary in, like, 6 weeks.
That's my current Facebook status.

I graduated high school a year early. I graduated in 2009.
And this past school year the time has flown by.

I should have been in high school for another year. The school mates I had at Hutch are getting ready to graduate. It seems unreal that we're that old.
I was talking to a friend the other day who's more than a year older than me. And she was talking about how excited she is for graduation. And it's less than two months away!

This time last year I wasn't even sure if I would be able to graduate with the Ben Eielson High School class of 2009.
I literally didn't know for sure that I was going to graduate until the week of graduation. I already had my cap and gown, which we ordered two or three months prior with the faith that I would have all my classes done and passed them. Thankfully, I was able to graduate.

At the time I had no idea why I was graduating early. But I had a good feeling about it and I'm sure that Heavenly Father would have stopped me if I was supposed to stay in high school.

Looking back, I can't imagine being in high school.
Although working and going to college is much more demanding than high school, I love it!
But I think the part about being graduated I love the most is going to the Singles Branch in Fairbanks. Their pretty much the only contacts I have besides my family right now. And it's awesome to go to Institute on Thursday nights and FHE on Monday nights and be able to be around such good influences. I love it.

In high school I knew that somewhere there were good influences. But in high school you really can't go 10 minutes without hearing an inappropriate conversation or seeing inappropriate actions.
It's totally different once you graduate!
I currently work at a grocery store so you'd think I'd see a lot of customers come through who just hate the world and cuss at the first person they see, right?
Wrong!
It's amazing. Sometimes I can go through almost an entire WEEK without hearing any dirty jokes, or cussing and not seeing any inappropriate actions. I love those weeks.

It's amazing how much life can change just by graduating.
I love how my life is right now.
And I love how I'm getting to know the people in the Singles Branch. Every time I go to an activity or do anything with the young adults from Church I feel happier and want to be a better person.
I don't think I'd be quite to that point if I were still in high school. But I am soo glad that I am where I currently am in life! :D

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! And BTW-you just get older faster now. In less than a year, I'm eligble (sp?) for a mission. o_0 WEIRD!! Or if I weren't mormon, I'd be the legal drinking age....or I'm gonna be old enough to officially rent a car (with Underage driver fees of course). Its just weird. It seems like I just graduated....but at the Same time, the Melanie from two years ago seems like so far away....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to getting older faster. I'm ready to see what kind of life the Lord has in store for me! :D

    ReplyDelete